PCM.daily banner
26-01-2022 11:58
PCM.daily
Users Online
· Guests Online: 15

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 149,436
· Newest Member: Anamika Sharma
Donate
View Thread
PCM.daily » Off-Topic » Cycling
 Print Thread
Paris - Roubaix 2021
Ad Bot
Posted on 26-01-2022 11:58
Bot Agent

Posts: Countless
Joined: 23.11.09

IP: None  
FreitasPCM
Yep. Van der Poel didn’t look fresh for me compared to Colbrelli.
 
SSJ2Luigi
I dunno why they use the front finish, you can recognize nobody from the front. they all look the same Pfft
 
jandal7
I love Roubaix!
30/12/14 - matt17br said "Sutty's birthday is more important than [Jesus' Birthday]"
24/2/21 - kandesbunzler said “I don’t drink famous people.”
8/12/13 - welker3257 said [when asked for a cyclist beginning with K] "Tom Boonen."

[ICL] Santos-Euskadi | The Life And Times | [For real doomed] i.imgur.com/c85NSl6.png Xero Racing
[CX] Listerijns & Kiwis

i.imgur.com/PdCbs9I.png
i.imgur.com/RPIlJYr.png
3x i.imgur.com/wM6Wok5.png x3
i.imgur.com/olRsxdu.png
 
Croatia14
Not the most deserved victor, but well played by Colbrelli.
ICL20 // Euskaltel Story // Can't Slow Down // 21 and Done // Dreams of a Viper

since 2018: Radsim'05: Astana
Most Improved Team 2018 & 2019 // Manager of the Year 2018, 2019 & 2020

PCM.daily Awards:
Most Improved Member '16 // MG New Manager '16 // Thread of the Year (PCT Roundtable Analysis) '17 '18 '19 // Most Helpful Member '18 '19 '20 // MG Team of the Year (Isostar - Adriatic) '18 // MG Manager of the Year '18 '19 // Member of the Year '19
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/moty.png
i.imgur.com/LIXbw59.png
i.imgur.com/X7eDBRB.png

RSM-news/PCM.daily 2019 DB Updates: 1 // 2 // 3 // 4
PCM.daily DB 2020 Updates: 1 // 2 // 3
PCM.daily Expansion Pack for PCM20 Updates: 1 // 1.5 // 1.8
 
baseballlover312
Colbrelli winning Paris-Roubaix was not something I predicted last winter.

Edit: Just passed Pozzovivo as most successful rider from Colnago/Bardiani?
Edited by baseballlover312 on 03-10-2021 16:21
RIP Exxon Duke, David Veilleux, Double Feature, and Monster Energy
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/avatar.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/funniest.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/funniest.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/forumthread.png
i.imgur.com/VCXYUyF.png
i.imgur.com/4osUjkI.png
 
http://www.youtube.com/user/baseballlover312
Ollfardh
This feels like Vanmarcke 2013, great ride from a young rider but starts the sprint too soon and the experienced rider wins it.
Changed my sig, this was getting absurd.
 
Fabianski
Ollfardh wrote:
This feels like Vanmarcke 2013, great ride from a young rider but starts the sprint too soon and the experienced rider wins it.

I guess if you finish 2nd in a sprint vs. Colbrelli and VdP, that's already a fantastic result. I think he needed an attack from further away - which he tried, but well...
As it was said before, VdP probably did too much work, and Colbrelli knew he "just" had to arrive with the two others, and he'd beat them in 90% of the cases probably.
 
Gustavovskiy
Croatia14 wrote:
Not the most deserved victor, but well played by Colbrelli.

In all honesty he actually showed a lot of initiative during the race, just saved himself in a small portion.

Deserving in my view.
Manager of pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2021/Micros/duo.png Duolingo pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2021/Micros/duo.png
 
matt17br
Lmao. Rode the toughest race in the world in the mud for 6h with impeccable tactics. Finishing this race alone makes you a deserving winner.
Manager of pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gen.png Generali pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gen.png
 
http://v.ht/Matt17
baseballlover312
Colbrelli was definitely a deserving winner. He saved himself in the most grueling cobbled portions because he is not a pure cobbler. It would have been poor strategy. He worked plenty elsewhere. Don't see an issue.
RIP Exxon Duke, David Veilleux, Double Feature, and Monster Energy
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/avatar.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/funniest.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/funniest.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/forumthread.png
i.imgur.com/VCXYUyF.png
i.imgur.com/4osUjkI.png
 
http://www.youtube.com/user/baseballlover312
Shonak
He was on stellar form all year long and due a big one. Have to watch the race later on.
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/team.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2017/manager.png

"It’s a little bit scary when Contador attacks." - Tommy V
 
Croatia14
As for Israel Start-Up Nation leader, Vanmarcke, well he suffered horrendous luck with three punctures, two bike changes and a crash, eventually ending up in 23rd place, 6:21 down on Colbrelli. It was a missed opportunity for the Belgian, who said that he was in great shape on the day.


Says all about Vanmarckes race really...
ICL20 // Euskaltel Story // Can't Slow Down // 21 and Done // Dreams of a Viper

since 2018: Radsim'05: Astana
Most Improved Team 2018 & 2019 // Manager of the Year 2018, 2019 & 2020

PCM.daily Awards:
Most Improved Member '16 // MG New Manager '16 // Thread of the Year (PCT Roundtable Analysis) '17 '18 '19 // Most Helpful Member '18 '19 '20 // MG Team of the Year (Isostar - Adriatic) '18 // MG Manager of the Year '18 '19 // Member of the Year '19
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/moty.png
i.imgur.com/LIXbw59.png
i.imgur.com/X7eDBRB.png

RSM-news/PCM.daily 2019 DB Updates: 1 // 2 // 3 // 4
PCM.daily DB 2020 Updates: 1 // 2 // 3
PCM.daily Expansion Pack for PCM20 Updates: 1 // 1.5 // 1.8
 
Ollfardh
Croatia14 wrote:
As for Israel Start-Up Nation leader, Vanmarcke, well he suffered horrendous luck with three punctures, two bike changes and a crash, eventually ending up in 23rd place, 6:21 down on Colbrelli. It was a missed opportunity for the Belgian, who said that he was in great shape on the day.


Says all about Vanmarckes race really...


The sad thing is that after editing the team name, you could use this post for any of his last 7 years.
Changed my sig, this was getting absurd.
 
SotD
Ollfardh wrote:
jandal7 wrote:
Ollfardh wrote:
Kirchen_75 wrote:
Please not Moscon - > Please not Colbrelli


This

Think I’m out of the loop (or it’s 4am and my memory sucks), can someone explain the Colbrelli hate?


Not really hate, but his wheelsucking makes him the least popular of the three.

Also, slightly suspicious performances this year. Not accusing, but I never seen such improvements that late in a career.


Colbrelli is just 31. Plenty of riders have gotten their best results late in their career. Jakob Fuglsang didn't really have any results until he got 2nd in the olympics at the age of 31. After that he won the Dauphine twice, won Liege-Bastogne-Liege and Giro di Lombardia and podiumed Fleched Wallone, Amstel Gold Race, Tour of Switzerland, Poland Tour aswell as getting strong stagewins.

Michael Woods took a significant leap in quality around 30-31 aswell.

I aknowledge that Colbrelli have had a great season, but he wasn't exactly worthless in the past. He already did well in Milano San Remo in 2014 (very solid allround season), 3rd in Amstel in 2016 and was 10th in Ronde van Vlanderen (should have done better) in 2017 aswell as winning Brabantse Pijl.

He has done well in most cobbled aswell as semihilly races if you take a look at his palmares.

If it wasn't for the Paris-Roubaix win I wouldn't say this season have been significantly stronger than the past 6-7.
i.imgur.com/R8WieIm.png

pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/manager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/teamhq.png
 
SotD
baseballlover312 wrote:
Colbrelli winning Paris-Roubaix was not something I predicted last winter.

Edit: Just passed Pozzovivo as most successful rider from Colnago/Bardiani?


Easily, I also think he was better before the P-R. But I guess it also depends what you call succesful. I mean, Pozzovivo has a number of Giro top 10s, but what else does he have? He rode a total of 372 Grand Tour stages, and only managed to win 1. He never really performed outside of Italy (a few stages and a GC I think) - and even in Italy he wasn't that much of a performer. He has a couple of decent results in LBL and Lombardia which moves him up a bit, but else it's mainly Giro GC results.

I would probably say Ciccone is already pretty close to being equally strong. He tapped out of 10th and 12th GC in Giro and Vuelta this season, but already have more stagewins and KOM results - also a good one day performer in general aswell as a couple of days in yellow at TdF two seasons ago.
i.imgur.com/R8WieIm.png

pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/manager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/teamhq.png
 
Ollfardh
SotD wrote:
Ollfardh wrote:
jandal7 wrote:
Ollfardh wrote:
Kirchen_75 wrote:
Please not Moscon - > Please not Colbrelli


This

Think I’m out of the loop (or it’s 4am and my memory sucks), can someone explain the Colbrelli hate?


Not really hate, but his wheelsucking makes him the least popular of the three.

Also, slightly suspicious performances this year. Not accusing, but I never seen such improvements that late in a career.


Colbrelli is just 31. Plenty of riders have gotten their best results late in their career. Jakob Fuglsang didn't really have any results until he got 2nd in the olympics at the age of 31. After that he won the Dauphine twice, won Liege-Bastogne-Liege and Giro di Lombardia and podiumed Fleched Wallone, Amstel Gold Race, Tour of Switzerland, Poland Tour aswell as getting strong stagewins.

Michael Woods took a significant leap in quality around 30-31 aswell.

I aknowledge that Colbrelli have had a great season, but he wasn't exactly worthless in the past. He already did well in Milano San Remo in 2014 (very solid allround season), 3rd in Amstel in 2016 and was 10th in Ronde van Vlanderen (should have done better) in 2017 aswell as winning Brabantse Pijl.

He has done well in most cobbled aswell as semihilly races if you take a look at his palmares.

If it wasn't for the Paris-Roubaix win I wouldn't say this season have been significantly stronger than the past 6-7.


But Fuglsang and Woods always had the rider profile to win these races. Colbrelli went from punchy sprinter to climber (that Tour stage and following Evenepoel in the EC) and top cobbler in like 1 year.

Not saying it's impossible, he's tacticaly really strong and obviously lost some weight, but it's hard to think of another rider who could do this. Hushovd comes to mind but he never climbed that well
Changed my sig, this was getting absurd.
 
TheManxMissile
SotD wrote:
baseballlover312 wrote:
Colbrelli winning Paris-Roubaix was not something I predicted last winter.

Edit: Just passed Pozzovivo as most successful rider from Colnago/Bardiani?


Easily, I also think he was better before the P-R. But I guess it also depends what you call succesful. I mean, Pozzovivo has a number of Giro top 10s, but what else does he have? He rode a total of 372 Grand Tour stages, and only managed to win 1. He never really performed outside of Italy (a few stages and a GC I think) - and even in Italy he wasn't that much of a performer. He has a couple of decent results in LBL and Lombardia which moves him up a bit, but else it's mainly Giro GC results.

I would probably say Ciccone is already pretty close to being equally strong. He tapped out of 10th and 12th GC in Giro and Vuelta this season, but already have more stagewins and KOM results - also a good one day performer in general aswell as a couple of days in yellow at TdF two seasons ago.


Very handy page & tables
https://en.wikipe...successors

Stefano Zanini & Roberto Pagnin as early pace setters for the team. Fabrizio Guidi dashing past as with many results for the team. Biagio Conte got some good results as well. This 96-98 period was a strong one for the team.
Emanuelle Sella, Maxi Richeze & Guillermo Bongiorno all staked claims for a period around '08.
Then the Pozzo era also with Modolo.
Now onto Colbrelli who's clear of everyone, but of course most of his results come elsewhere.

But in terms of best Colango/Bardiani rider - Alessandro Petacchi by a long distance. (was his first Pro team, 96-99)
i.imgur.com/UmX5YX1.jpgi.imgur.com/iRneKpI.jpgi.imgur.com/fljmGSP.jpgi.imgur.com/qV5ItIc.jpgimgur.com/dr2BAI6.jpgimgur.com/KlJUqDx.jpg[/img[img]]https://imgur.com/yUygrQ.jpgi.imgur.com/C1rG9BW.jpgi.imgur.com/sEDS7gr.jpg
 
whitejersey
Why are you talking about Colbrelli as if he has gone from GC guy to cobbler in 3 months?

GVA and Sagan have also done stuff that is akin to what Colbrelli has done this year.

Ben O'Connor put 5'30 into him on the Tignes stage this year. He's obviously a smart rider and as mentioned by SotD has decent results in the past like Brabantje Pijls, also the state of the race would have been vastly different had Luke Rowe not pulled a move that would have seen him banned for solid chunk of time in a lot of other sports.

I also fully agree with Matt's statement, there's nothing suspicious about this.
 
SotD
Ollfardh wrote:

But Fuglsang and Woods always had the rider profile to win these races. Colbrelli went from punchy sprinter to climber (that Tour stage and following Evenepoel in the EC) and top cobbler in like 1 year.

Not saying it's impossible, he's tacticaly really strong and obviously lost some weight, but it's hard to think of another rider who could do this. Hushovd comes to mind but he never climbed that well


Colbrellis has always been one of the best climbing sprinters. Hell even Thor Hushovd climbed well in the 2011 Tour de France when he beat the likes of Moncoutie, Roy and Pineau on the Lourdes stage. A couple of days later he tossed Hesjedal, Perez etc. to victory in Gap.

I agree that the stage to Tignes on paper was far to difficult for him, but he didn't exactly get close to the win either. O'Connor smashed him by more than 5 minutes, and he was almost caught by the elite climbers. Had he finished that stage in 10th no one would have noticed. In the Saint-Gaudens stage he finished with Michael Matthews, Perichon, Bonnamour and Aranburu. Is it significantly more surprising than when Magnus Cort won in Carcassone a couple of years ago, beating the likes of Izagirre, Mollema, Majka and Pozzovivo?

In 2019 Colbrelli won Gran Premio Bruno Beghelli ahead of Valverde, Haig, Gaudu and Martin. I think there are solid evidence of Colbrelli being among the top 5 best climbing sprinters in the world.

EDIT:

Also how can it surprise you that a rider this competent in long enduring races AND cobbles, and in a killer form can ride a top result in Paris-Roubaix? I didn't have him as a winner, but a top 5 candidate for sure.

His cobbled results are pretty strong, and have been for a rather long time:
Winner Paris-Roubaix (2021)
Winner Benelux Tour (2021)
3rd Kuurne - Bruxelles - Kuurne (2018)
4th Gent - Wevelgem (2021)
6th Kuurne - Bruxelles - Kuurne (2021)
6th Binck Bank Tour (2020)
7th E3 Harelbeke (2017)
7th Kuurne - Bruxelles - Kuurne (2020)
8th Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (2018)
10th Ronde van Vlaanderen (2017)

And I have probably missed a bunch since he has been riding a ton of italian races (very succesfully).

I mean. From the top 10 he's hardly the one that surprises me the most. Vermeersch in 2nd is a significantly bigger surprise. As is Boivin and Haussler (The latter being good years ago though).
Edited by SotD on 04-10-2021 14:30
i.imgur.com/R8WieIm.png

pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/manager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/teamhq.png
 
Ollfardh
SotD wrote:
Ollfardh wrote:

But Fuglsang and Woods always had the rider profile to win these races. Colbrelli went from punchy sprinter to climber (that Tour stage and following Evenepoel in the EC) and top cobbler in like 1 year.

Not saying it's impossible, he's tacticaly really strong and obviously lost some weight, but it's hard to think of another rider who could do this. Hushovd comes to mind but he never climbed that well


Colbrellis has always been one of the best climbing sprinters. Hell even Thor Hushovd climbed well in the 2011 Tour de France when he beat the likes of Moncoutie, Roy and Pineau on the Lourdes stage. A couple of days later he tossed Hesjedal, Perez etc. to victory in Gap.

I agree that the stage to Tignes on paper was far to difficult for him, but he didn't exactly get close to the win either. O'Connor smashed him by more than 5 minutes, and he was almost caught by the elite climbers. Had he finished that stage in 10th no one would have noticed. In the Saint-Gaudens stage he finished with Michael Matthews, Perichon, Bonnamour and Aranburu. Is it significantly more surprising than when Magnus Cort won in Carcassone a couple of years ago, beating the likes of Izagirre, Mollema, Majka and Pozzovivo?

In 2019 Colbrelli won Gran Premio Bruno Beghelli ahead of Valverde, Haig, Gaudu and Martin. I think there are solid evidence of Colbrelli being among the top 5 best climbing sprinters in the world.


Definitely! It's really the combination of both following Evenepoel on a long climb and following Mathieu on the cobbles that gives me a red flag. If he'd done only one of those, I wouldn't question him.
Changed my sig, this was getting absurd.
 
Jump to Forum:
Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
2021 World Championships Cycling 114 26-01-2022 08:29
NFL Prediction Game 2021 Other sports 34 25-01-2022 09:13
[CT] Crabbe-CC Chevigny | 2021 [Man-Game] Teams HQ 81 25-01-2022 08:32
Paris - Roubaix Discussion [Man-Game] General 25 18-01-2022 02:27
Paris-Nice Discussion [Man-Game] General 65 17-01-2022 07:04
Login
Username

Password



Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest content
Screenshots
Go S??rensen
Go S??rensen
PCM11: Funny Screenshots
Fantasy Betting
Current bets:
No bets available.
Best gamblers:
bullet roturn 5,851 PCM$
bullet df_Trek 5,649 PCM$
bullet baseba... 5,463 PCM$
bullet jseadog1 5,400 PCM$
bullet fintas 5,120 PCM$

bullet Main Fantasy Betting page
bullet Rankings: Top 100
ManGame Betting
Current bets:
No bets available.
Best gamblers:
bullet df_Trek 5,300 PCM$
bullet Marcovdw 5,200 PCM$
bullet jseadog1 5,200 PCM$
bullet baseball... 5,100 PCM$
bullet fintas 4,400 PCM$

bullet Main MG Betting page
bullet Get weekly MG PCM$
bullet Rankings: Top 100
Render time: 4.45 seconds