· Total Members: 146,577
· Newest Member: mirlanrez
Donate
View Thread
PCM.daily » PCM.daily's Management Game » [Man-Game] General
 Print Thread
Giro d'Italia - Discussion
SotD
Another "boo-hoo" for us (we are getting used to them by now). Kastrantas (decent fit, looking at past results) couldn't keep up in the break and was caught out early.

Nizzolo 6th in the bunch sprint, to finish 11th and hence another zero pointer for us.

With 3 difficult mountainstages to go, and the flat finish final means that we can kiss all chances of a stagewin farewell by now. Bongiorno is also in a position where it seems more likely that he won't join early attacks and hence will finish around 15-18th in the GC.

But what about Nizzolo? He's still an outsider for the final stage. True, but seeing him that far back on the last mountainstage it seems very unlikely that he will survive the upcoming 3 stages.

Big congrats to those teams that fit the game mechanics and succesfully joins break after break, getting KOM luck or even GC luck. We can only hope for it to hit us at the Tour, because we sure is getting nothing of that sort in these months. A very underwhelming period that I could do without soon. It's very demoralising.

Incredible effort Fabianski. It must suck to read so much negativity from me (and others), but be sure to know, that it has absolutely nothing to do with you and your fantastic effort. It's the one spotless event of beauty from this very broken race. So thank you!
i.imgur.com/lVIiCkA.png

pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/manager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/teamhq.png

Croatia14
cio93 wrote:
Ollfardh wrote:
On the topic of AI, I'm pretty sure Froome had one of his Tour wins without a stage win because everything went to the breakaways.

Friendly reminder that none of the talk about real life comparisons matters in a game where 4 stage wins are objectively superior to 4th in the GC, and only one of those things can be achieved by 50k riders.

Friendly reminder that we're playing a cycling simulation game, not a maths game.
ICL20 // Euskaltel Story // Can't Slow Down // 21 and Done // Dreams of a Viper

since 2018: Radsim'05: Astana
Most Improved Team 2018 & 2019 // Manager of the Year 2018, 2019 & 2020

PCM.daily Awards:
Most Improved Member '16 // MG New Manager '16 // Thread of the Year (PCT Roundtable Analysis) '17 '18 '19 // Most Helpful Member '18 '19 '20 // MG Team of the Year (Isostar - Adriatic) '18 // MG Manager of the Year '18 '19 // Member of the Year '19
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/moty.png
i.imgur.com/LIXbw59.png
i.imgur.com/X7eDBRB.png

RSM-news/PCM.daily 2019 DB Updates: 1 // 2 // 3 // 4
PCM.daily DB 2020 Updates: 1 // 2 // 3
PCM.daily Expansion Pack for PCM20 Updates: 1 // 1.5 // 1.8

cio93
Croatia14 wrote:
Friendly reminder that we're playing a cycling simulation game, not a maths game.

You wouldn't argue that math plays a significant role in a game mostly based on a dozen Excel files?

I don't disagree, but then we need to make the math match the racing.
I'll have a suggestion ready when the appropriate discussion thread arrives, for now we should focus on sending our energy to Aker and everyone else trying to finally drop Malecki.

tsmoha
Guess it's pretty clear what's coming next Wink

I was just asking for one promising breakaway appearance Sad

cio93
Inexplicably we're still yet to join a single break all race, but at least the first part of the race went as well for Arndt as we could hope for.
The finish is probably too downhill for his sprint to matter, but it's nevertheless a shot at a stage win if things don't break up too much.

Which means, I fully expect the peloton to lose time to the break from here on out.

viking90
Go Solo now Carapaz! Pfft

alexkr00
Could the most breakaway stage actually not go to the breakaway? Shock
i.imgur.com/S1M3OtV.png
i.imgur.com/wzkfv39.png
i.imgur.com/Uhicj1C.png
i.imgur.com/Ie56lsQ.png

Fabianski
cio93 wrote:
Inexplicably we're still yet to join a single break all race

You did have Mager on stage 5, but yeah, your team's been really passive in terms of breakaways so far... probably most of those not having a GC contender.

Ad Bot
Posted on 17-04-2021 08:37
Bot Agent

IP: None  
knockout
Very smart move by Evonik to improve the standing in the team classification... yeah - that's what i'm going with.

Seriously, i'm absolutely clueless what we were doing. We didnt go for an improved GC position because then Chiarello would have joined the break or we would have pushed harder. We didnt go for the KoM because then someone would have bothered to sprint / attack for the KoM. And we obviously didnt go for the stage win either. To me that might well be the biggest AI screw up in this race so far and that says a lot.

(I loved to see us join the break with 3 guys + Vosekalns just like i am calling for since weeks)
A Big Thank You To All MG Reporters!
And To All Who Organize Something On Daily As Well!

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manteam.pngpcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mgmanager.png

cio93
cio93 wrote:
Which means, I fully expect the peloton to lose time to the break from here on out.

And Arndt even loses time in a downhill sprint of all places.
At least I'm really happy the top spots went to teams not named Isostar, Gazelle or Evonik for once.

Congrats SN, it's always extra special when a homegrown talent makes his first big splash! Smile
I'm certain this wasn't Wirtgen's last GT stage win.

Fabianski wrote:
cio93 wrote:
Inexplicably we're still yet to join a single break all race

You did have Mager on stage 5, but yeah, your team's been really passive in terms of breakaways so far... probably most of those not having a GC contender.

Oh yeah, pardon me for forgetting we once had the strongest puncheur in a winning break, who led from 3k-1.5k to go, just to drop to 5th in line under the kite with the sprint being way too short to make up positions. Pfft

But yeah, at least that gave us some GC points for a handful of days.
Edited by cio93 on 25-01-2021 18:45

viking90
Come on guys! Sportmansship give the stage to Carapaz he did the most job it looks like :lol: Rolling Eyes

tastasol
Good stage for us. Would have loved a stage win of course, but hard with the kind of riders we had in front to win a sprint.

We at least saw something from Rein today. Let's see if he have more to give tomorrow...

valverde321
Wow, turning into a nailbiter for the top GC spot. Probably could have put more effort on the climb, but pretty sure the AI never really rides that hard on a downhill finish stage so I was more or less expecting this.

ryant
Getting some nice stage results and I'm loving the aggression from Kennaugh, moving himself back to 13th overall. Hopefully he still has enough in the tank after having a rest on the last stage! :S
i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/ryant15/yorkshire_zpsw1qiv8uk.png

Banana John St Ledger in Team Bunzl-Centrica and Team U25Banana

Red Bull Driver in RFactor

tsmoha
Yap, that does not come as a surprise. Obviously a shame, since Haig did quite well in the sprint.

Croatia14
Ah damn it, we didn't play it smart here...
ICL20 // Euskaltel Story // Can't Slow Down // 21 and Done // Dreams of a Viper

since 2018: Radsim'05: Astana
Most Improved Team 2018 & 2019 // Manager of the Year 2018, 2019 & 2020

PCM.daily Awards:
Most Improved Member '16 // MG New Manager '16 // Thread of the Year (PCT Roundtable Analysis) '17 '18 '19 // Most Helpful Member '18 '19 '20 // MG Team of the Year (Isostar - Adriatic) '18 // MG Manager of the Year '18 '19 // Member of the Year '19
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/moty.png
i.imgur.com/LIXbw59.png
i.imgur.com/X7eDBRB.png

RSM-news/PCM.daily 2019 DB Updates: 1 // 2 // 3 // 4
PCM.daily DB 2020 Updates: 1 // 2 // 3
PCM.daily Expansion Pack for PCM20 Updates: 1 // 1.5 // 1.8

ember
This will go down to the wire, I'm sure. Expected to see the breakaway take stage 18, both due to the profile and at what point in the race the stage comes at. Encouraging to see Taaramäe try an attack too, eventhough the perfect moment would have been just after the team got the breakaway close and had tired out many helpers in the peloton. As it happened, it was too little and too late. If the goal was to gap Malecki, he should have tried on the classified climb, eventhough it would also have been a huge risk, being so far away from the finish line with a rather easy finish. Though, the moment seemed perfect after the team had set him up nicely and dropped the gap significantly to the breakaway.

Though, that's another stage done, meaning we're left with two opportunities and two bullets... We really, really need Taaramäe to pull through and win this thing, seeing how little points we've scored during the race up to this point. As it has played out, anything less than a GC win will make us struggle a lot thinking of ranking points and such, while a GC win will still see us struggle quite a bit. That's a weird thing to say, and an awkward position to be in. Here's for hoping he keeps Kritskiy behind and is able to gap Malecki enough (sorry DD!) Pfft

Also congratulations to SN on that Wirtgen win. As cio points out, I'm sure it's the first of several to come in future seasons Smile

Bikex
Finally Teklehaimanot realized that he is exactly the rider type that was so successful in breaks so far in this race. His second place helps a little but still does not make me happy. Congrats on the stage win SN, Wirtgen is definitely a cool rider! Reis is now outside the top 20, when he should be around where Shikai is, hopefully he can gain at least a few positions in the final difficult mountain stage.
Thanks for another great report, you are doing a tremendous job, Fabianski!

Croatia14 wrote:
cio93 wrote:
Ollfardh wrote:
On the topic of AI, I'm pretty sure Froome had one of his Tour wins without a stage win because everything went to the breakaways.

Friendly reminder that none of the talk about real life comparisons matters in a game where 4 stage wins are objectively superior to 4th in the GC, and only one of those things can be achieved by 50k riders.

I'm really confused about this argument, the racing produced by the game here is not realistic at all. Even in the mentioned tour which Froome won without a stage win, there were not even close as many breakaway wins as in this giro. Take your good results here and be happy with them, but please don't argue it's realistic because it clearly isn't.

DubbelDekker
Congrats SN!

I still expect some riders to go past Malecki in GC during the final two mountain stages and I'm totally fine with that. But at this point I would definitely be very disappointed if he completely explodes and loses half an hour.
Karnulin and Kruijswijk were both solidly in the top 15 but got hit by a combination of a total breakdown and an unlucky puncture and now occupy places 58 and 42. Having a third rider completely drop out of the nice scoring positions would be rough.

So please hold on for two more days Kamil! Don't blow up your engine if you can't follow the top riders. It's ok to lose four minutes per stage because that still leaves you in the top 10. And there's multiple good climbers ready to help you. Good luck!
i.imgur.com/5iNQj.png

knockout
DubbelDekker wrote:
Having a third rider completely drop out of the nice scoring positions would be rough.

Are you aware of the bazillion of points you already got in this race? Pfft
A Big Thank You To All MG Reporters!
And To All Who Organize Something On Daily As Well!

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manteam.pngpcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mgmanager.png

Jump to Forum: